Thursday, May 16, 2013

Do You Like Word Sorts?

 Hi!

 Are you counting down the days until summer break? I think most of us are! This time of year goes by quickly. If you are like most teachers you are already beginning to think about school for next year. What will my classroom theme be, what type of literacy and math stations do I want to have, what do I want to change about my classroom for next year? So many ideas are running through your head! Maybe I can help with an idea for a literacy station.

                                            Word Sorts
I always have some type of word sort as a literacy station. Sorting is a very valuable activity. A word sort requires children to group words into different categories. Through word sorts, children will learn how to decode by analogy, differentiate spelling patterns, and recognize the relationship between written language and individual sounds. With these skills children can decode new words and identify familiar words quickly which will lead to proficient reading. 
Keeping this in mind, I have created a new packet of word sorts that I have now uploaded into my TpT store. Here are a few pictures of the one of the sorts:
  This is the homophone sort that is in the packet.
 
 When sorting the words you can use the sorting mats or the category headers. The category headers can be used on a table or desk top or can be used in a pocket chart.

 This is the response sheet for students to record the sort.

This is a picture of the sorting mats that can be used.
 
This is my new packet, you can click on the picture and go to my TpT store and check it out!!
  
Hooray!! Tomorrow is Friday!!
 

2 comments:

  1. Love your word sorts! :) So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the admin of this web page is working, no doubt very soon it will be famous,
    due to its quality contents.

    Also visit my page ... コーチ

    ReplyDelete